- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Bake Time: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min + Cooling Time
Ingredients: Recipe good for 12-16 servings.
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until well blended. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake, allowing frosting to drape down the sides.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice of Lemon Chiffon Cake
345 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Adapted From Taste of Home