Ingredients: Recipe for a rectangular baking pan, sized 11.5cm x 22cm x 5.5cm.
- 200 gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 gm unsalted butter, room temperature
- 175 gm caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 50 ml milk
- Prepare oven to 180C / 356F. Place the butter at room temperature until softened.
- Sift the cake flour together with baking powder and salt. Set aside. Line the pan with baking paper or spray the bottom and sides with oil. Beat the eggs and drain through a fine sieve to remove the foam.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed. Then increase to high speed and continue to beat until very pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add the beaten eggs, in 3 additions. Beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour mixture, in 3 batches, and gently fold to combine with a spatula, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add milk and quickly combine into a smooth batter. Make sure not to over-mix because you don’t want your cake turns tough. Scrape the batter into the lined pan. Level the surface with a spatula. Immediately transfer into the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. When the sides start to set, remove the cake from the oven. Use a sharp knife to draw a line in the middle. Put it back into the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 170C / 335F. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the cake turns golden brown. Insert a needle in the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack.