Sweet red bean paste is a very popular ingredient that is added into a variety of Chinese cuisines and dessert soups. It includes red bean steamed buns and red bean dessert soup. Try to make it sometime and you might just fall in love with this delicious sweet red bean paste.
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- 8oz dried red beans
- 3 cups water for boiling
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter or lard
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Wash and soak dried red beans for at least 8 hours or overnight. (Shortens cooking time.)
- Remove red bean skin that floats on water surface.
- Pour soaked red bean into pot or high-pressure cooker and pour water till 1-2 inch above red beans.
- Bring to a boiling and turn down the heat to simmer for 1 hour or until red beans become soft. (For high-pressure cooker, cook for 40 mins.)
- Sieve red beans by pressing with a spoon to remove skin or pour content into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer red bean paste to a pan and add sugar and butter. Turn to low heat and simmer excess water out. Stir the paste constantly.
- Wait for paste to cool down and it’s ready to use. (You can freeze paste for up to 2 weeks. When you use the frozen paste, just thaw it before using it in your cooking. )