Ingredients: Recipe for 5-6 servings.
- 12 (2- to 2 1/2-inch-thick) oxtail pieces (about 4 1/2 pounds), fat trimmed
- 1.5 liters water
- 5 tomatoes (cut into bite size)
- 3 carrots (cut into cubes)
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled and cut to chunks
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 red onion (cut into cubes)
- 4 garlic (crushed)
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 tbsp ketchup (for flavor)
- salt to taste
- Blanch oxtail pieces in boiling hot water, drain and rinse slightly with running cold tap water.
- Add the oxtail pieces into a pot of cold water, add garlic, ginger, half of the chopped onions into the pot. Cook for 90 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Rinse and cut up all vegetable ingredients into cubes or bite sizes.
- Toss all the cut vegetables into the pot, bring to boil and turn to low simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables become tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom.
- Tip, add in 1 to 2 tbsp ketchup for flavor enhancement and sweetness.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve hot.