- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
Ingredients: Recipe for 4 servings.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup Banyuls vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the skillet and swirl to coat the chicken. Turn the chicken skin side up and add the garlic and bay leaf.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake the chicken for 8 minutes, until the breast pieces are just white throughout. Transfer the breast pieces to a plate. Add the vinegar to the skillet, return to the oven and bake the remaining chicken, basting a few times, until cooked through, 15 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken and garlic to the plate.
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet and boil, scraping up the browned bits, until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the crème fraîche and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Return the chicken to the skillet along with any accumulated juices. Simmer over moderately high heat, basting a few times, until the sauce thickens slightly and the chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.