- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1hr 10 mins
Ingredients: Recipe for 4 servings.
- 1/3 cup small sago (small tapioca pearls)
- 100 grams green beans (aka lu dou/綠豆) soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 2 pandan (screw pine) tied in a knot
- 1.7 litres water
- 10 grams (or 3 small pieces) dried orange/tangerine peel (陈皮)
- 80 grams canned or vacuum-packed lotus seeds or ginkgo nuts optional
- 70 grams rock sugar (冰糖) to taste
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add sago and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, cover the pot with lid and let the sago continue to cook on its own for another 10 minutes, until all the sago turns translucent. Run the cooked sago through a fine sieve and running water to remove excess starch. Set aside.
- In a bigger soup pot, add green beans, pandan leaves, water and orange peel. Bring to a boil.
- Add lotus seeds/gingko nuts and reduce heat to a simmer, partially covered, for about 50 minutes (or until the beans are soft), stirring the sides and bottom of the pot occasionally. Top up with hot water at any time if needed.
- Stir in rock sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Discard orange peel slices and pandan leaves. Add the cooked sago prepared in step 1 to the green bean soup. Serve warmed or chilled.