Ingredients: Recipe for 5 servings.
- 4 egg whites
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- Pour milk equally into the 5 bowls and steam it in a wok or pot with the lid on for 10 minutes and let it cool.
- In a big bowl, beat the egg white and sugar until it turns foamy.
- Let the milk cool down, a skin will form on top of the milk. Using a knife or a pair of chopsticks, nudge on the edge of the skin until it separates partially from the bowl. Hold the skin back and slowly pour 2/3 of the milk into the big bowl so the skin won’t stick to the small bowl.
- Slowly stir the milk together with the egg white. Pour mixture through sieve, use a spoon to scoop out the extra foam. (This makes the dessert extra smooth.)
- Pour mixture back into the original bowl with the skin. Be sure to pour carefully and preferably right where the skin was broken earlier. The skin should float back up to the top but if it gets bunched up, nudge it until it floats to the top. Being gentle is key in this step.
- Cover the top of each bowl with aluminum foil, put them in a wok or pot with the lid on and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pudding and let it cool for 15 minutes. The second layer of skin will form soon.
- If you want a hot dessert, eat it now. If you prefer a cold dessert, let it cool on the countertop for 1 hour and stick it in the fridge for 2 hours.